The John Loiello AFSOAS Scholarship
The John Loiello AFSOAS Scholarship was set up by the American Friends of SOAS in order to give an American student the chance to study a Masters Program at SOAS in London.
This year's Scholarship will be a $17,500 award towards the Scholar's tuition fees.
Named after John Loiello - a founding board member and benefactor of AFSOAS who sadly passed away earlier this year - it will be a scholarship for deserving American student funded entirely by AFSOAS and all alumni living in America.
- Applicants must have a current conditional or unconditional offer of admission for a taught SOAS Masters program.
- Demonstrates “financial need” as determined by the data submitted on the 2015-2016 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
A complete application consists of the following:
- A copy of your 2015-2016 FAFSA and your 2015-2016 Student Aid Report (SAR). This can be obtained by following the directions on the Department of Education website: www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- A copy of your parents AND your most recent federal tax return (2013 OR 2014 only). If you do not file a federal tax return, provide a written explanation.
- A copy of your resume/CV listing your GPA, employment and key activities, transcripts for any post-secondary studies you have completed (scanned copies are sufficient), and the personal statement you submitted when applying to SOAS.
- An essay, between 500 - 700 words, describing your candidacy for this scholarship including information on: a) extenuating financial circumstances that will affect you and/or your family’s ability to support your educational expenses; b) your goals for your time at SOAS and beyond; c) the impact that receiving this scholarship will have for you; and d) how you would plan to give back to SOAS as a student and alumnus if you received the scholarship.
Please submit all the above application material to:
American Friends of SOAS (AFSOAS)
Or via Mail to:
136 East 64th Street
New York City, NY 10065
For more information on scholarships, please visit www.soas.ac.uk/registry/scholarships.
All application material must be submitted no later than Friday, March 20, 2015. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please note successful candidates will be invited for a phone or Skype interview.