The John Loiello AFSOAS Scholarship was set up by the American Friends of SOAS in order to give an American student the chance to study a full-time taught Master's Program at SOAS in London.
This year's scholarship will be a $25,000 award towards the scholar's tuition fees and living expenses. An accommodation scholarship will also be provided by Friends of International Students’ House (FISH) for the student to live at International Students’ House in central London.
Named after John Loiello - a founding board member and benefactor of AFSOAS who sadly passed away in 2013 – the scholarship will give a deserving American student the life-changing opportunity to live and study in London.
In order to be eligible for the John Loiello Scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have an unconditional or conditional offer to study for a full-time, one-year taught Masters programme at SOAS in the academic year 2016-17
- Clearly demonstrate financial need
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
Criteria for selection:
- Academic strength - an unweighted GPA of at least 3.25 for your undergraduate degree
- Demonstration of financial need, as determined by the data submitted on your 2016-17 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Clear intentions of how you would plan to give back to SOAS as a student and as an alumni
- Quality of application
- Clarity of goals at both SOAS and beyond
- Relevant extra-curricular involvement and leadership experience
Applicants who are the first in their family to go to university or come from challening financial backgrounds are encouraged to apply for the scholarship
How to apply:
Applications will open on 1 December 2015 until midnight EST on Tuesday 1 March 2016. You will need to revisit this webpage for the link to fill out the online application form.
As well as submitting the online application, you will also need to email the following supporting documents to Brooke Beardslee, President of AFSOAS on Bbeardslee136@gmail.com :
1) Your 2016- 17 FAFSA which can be obtained by following the directions on the Department of Education website: www.fafsa.ed.gov
2) Your 2016-17 Student Aid Report (SAR)
- A copy of your parents AND your most recent federal tax return. If you do not file a federal tax return, provide a written explanation. If you are financially independent from your parents, we ask that you send your parents' tax return(s) and note that you are financially independent on your application
- A copy of your resume/CV listing your GPA, employment and key activities
- Transcripts for any post-secondary studies you have completed (scanned copies are sufficient)
- Your personal statement you submitted when applying to SOAS
Online applications will open on December 1 2015 until March 2016. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by 1 April 2016 for a short phone interview.
We regret that due to the volume of applications, we won't be able to provide feedback on individual applications.
For any other questions regarding the Scholarship and application process, please contact Brooke Beardslee, President of AFSOAS on: Bbeardslee136@gmail.com
For any questions regarding SOAS and applications to Masters’ programmes as an American student, please contact Matt Naylor, SOAS International Student Recruitment Officer on email@example.com
For more information on scholarships, please visit www.soas.ac.uk/registry/scholarships