The John Loiello AFSOAS FISH Scholarship was set up by the American Friends of SOAS in order to give an American student the chance to study a full-time, one-year taught Master's Program at SOAS in London.
The scholarship goes towards the scholar's tuition fees and living expenses. An accommodation scholarship will also be provided by Friends of International Students’ House (FISH) for the student to live at International Students’ House in central London.
Named after John Loiello - a founding board member and benefactor of AFSOAS who sadly passed away in 2013 – the scholarship will give a deserving American student the life-changing opportunity to live and study in London.
In order to be eligible for the John Loiello Scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have an unconditional or conditional offer to study for a full-time, one-year taught Master's programme at SOAS in the academic year 2016-17 (this must be the first Master's programme you are taking at SOAS)
- Clearly demonstrate financial need
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
Criteria for selection:
- Academic strength - an unweighted GPA of at least 3.25 for your undergraduate degree
- Demonstration of financial need, as determined by the data submitted on your 2016-17 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Clear intentions of how you would plan to give back to SOAS as a student and as an alumni
- Quality of application
- Clarity of goals at both SOAS and beyond
- Relevant extra-curricular involvement and leadership experience
Applicants who are the first in their family to go to university or come from challening financial backgrounds are encouraged to apply for the scholarship
How to apply:
Applications are now closed for the 2016-17 Scholarship
Please revisit this page in autumn 2016 for details of how to apply for the 2017-18 Scholarship.
Online applications will open on December 1 2015 until 1 March 2016. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by 1 April 2016 for a short phone interview.
We regret that due to the volume of applications, we won't be able to provide feedback on individual applications.
For any other questions regarding the Scholarship and application process, please contact Brooke Beardslee, President of AFSOAS on: Bbeardslee136@gmail.com
For any questions regarding SOAS and applications to Masters’ programmes as an American student, please contact Matt Naylor, SOAS International Student Recruitment Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on scholarships, please visit www.soas.ac.uk/registry/scholarships